Times Table Rock Stars website: www.ttrockstars.com
Ingenious Geniuses Homework
Oakbeam Watch Me Learn....parents, carers, grandparents were invited to school on 'Safer Internet Day,' a very useful session where the children and adults worked together considering our 'identity,' and how to use the internet safely.
To end our work on 'Extreme Earth' the children of Oakbeam worked in groups to build volcanoes. We painted them and then tested the best way to achieve the most impressive eruptions using vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. We took them outside to erupt our volcanoes otherwise there would be too much mess!
Affinity Water WOW day - Sept 19
Kensworth were very lucky to have a visit from John who works at Affinity Water. He came to talk to us all about the uses of water and what we can do to save water. Did you know 98% of the world's water is salt water? And, of the remaining 2%, only 0.15% is available for us to use.
Oakbeam went outside and all became a part of a water stress test. Each group represented a different group of consumers, along with a group who were the rain, one which was the aquifer and one which was the water company. We learned that the consumer use of water is doubling and resources become stretched. This highlighted why we should be saving water and how valuable it is.
We also all got to play games such as; Snakes and Ladders, Twister, Top Trumps and Bingo. All these games were based on saving water and we learnt some tips to use at home with our families and in school. We made water saving promises to say how we would try and save water.
We had lots of fun and learnt lots of tips, which I’m sure we’ve been passing on at home!
Dell Farm-Kensworth & Totternhoe, July 2019
The children have been great today and lots of fun was had by all. Even if we did make them WALK up the Downs!! Here are some of the photos of today, enjoy!
Another busy day for the year 4s. Hopefully, we have tired them out...they are certainly quieter this evening!
Slideshow coming soon, the internet is too slow here!
A lot of very tired and very happy children left Dell Farm. Our morning was spent unmaking the beds and trying to fit all of our things back in the bags. We then ventured out for archery and caving. Some of the children were nervous of going into the caves but everyone took a deep breath and gave it a go, well done to them all! We have some very good archers and lots of bullseyes were scored. Savannah finished off with the bullseye of all bullseyes and got her shot right on the centre cross of the target! The children were all praised by the Dell Farm staff for their behaviour and great attitudes across the three days. We hope the children had a great time and made memories they will enjoy for a long time to come!
The British Museum
Oak and Hornbeam ventured off to London to the British Museum to delve into their topics of Ancient Egypt, for Oak and the Mayans and Aztecs, for Hornbeam. All of the children were very well behaved and polite throughout the day. With the children being overheard exclaiming 'Wow, look at that!' and 'This is amazing!' I think they enjoyed their day as well as learning a lot. They thought that when we continue their work in the classrooms, this visit will bring the artefacts to life as they have 'actually seen it with my own eyes!'.
In Oak class we make learning fun, exciting, meaningful and memorable.
Oak class is made up of year 4 and 5 children and are taught by Mrs Harrison. In the afternoons we are joined by the children from Hornbeam to become 'Oakbeam'
This term our topic will be 'Ingenious Geniuses'
We will be looking at the inventions and how they have shaped our world. We will focus on the invention of the computer and internet in more detail. After visiting the MAD Museum in Stratford Upon Avon, we will be designing and creating our own inventions and moving art.
Homework is set on a Friday and is due in on the following Thursday. Homework will link to learning from the week in any subject. We encourage you to hear your child read regularly and help develop their understanding of the text by questioning at least three times a week. Home reading books are changed daily if the reading record is signed to say it is finished.
As we have focused spelling sessions in class, spellings will no longer be sent home and tested on Friday.
PE days for Oak Class are Tuesday and Friday. However, please make sure your child has their red shorts, plimsolls/trainers, white polo shirt and black tracksuit in everyday as other instances may arise where it may be needed.
As PE starts at 9am on Tuesdays, the children may come to school wearing their PE kit and tracksuit to save the time changing. They MUST bring their uniform and school shoes to change back into. Tracksuits should be plain black as per the uniform policy.
Things to remember...
Reading books should come into school every day.
Homework should be handed in on a Thursday.
PE is Tuesday and Friday